Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sunglasses

I have been asking the husband to write a post on this subject, but for reasons that will become obvious, he has been resisting this. So here we go.

He is addicted to sunglasses. He wears one all the time, even if the day is cloudy. Lo and behold, if he forgot to bring one, he will be squinting his eyes all the time outdoors. Nothing wrong with this, but he has this horrible habit of misplacing and losing sunglasses (he can usually be trusted with other things). I have lost count of how many times this has happened in all the four years we have been married. Let me try to list what comes to mind. He rode back seat on a friend's car one day, dropped it there and kept looking for it everywhere. Our friend gave it back in few days. The next time he left it inside a car we were selling, kept looking for it and found it just before emptying the car before handing off the keys. He was not very lucky the next time - no idea how he lost it.

This habit was proving to be costly - these Rayban sunglasses cost at least $150. So we turned to Costco. They were selling similar Raybans for $80! Their Kirkland brand sunglasses looked pretty much like a Rayban, polarized and made in Italy. They were even cheaper - about $30! That was pretty good, especially for someone who tends to lose them. So I bought one for him and he was happy.

Just before we moved to UK, I came up with the idea of stocking up on the sunglasses, in case he loses his. So I bought two of them just in case - they are so cheap! We packed the new ones and shipped them with the other boxes (we have not received them yet). Sadly, he has not changed a bit here. He went to London for an interview one day and left the sunglass at the company. Fortunately, he went for the second round and they graciously have it back to him. On the way back, he left it in the train. Just two weeks ago,we were all travelling together by train to London. The boy was a little cranky and kept pulling my sunglass. I gave it to the husband to keep it (safely). When we got down, I asked for it back and got a blank look.

Why would anyone in their right mind entrust him with a sunglass (of all things)? That's not the point. We have lost both our sunglasses. We are waiting for our boxes - they have arrived, but we have asked them to be stored till we move to our own place. And we don't have any safety cushion anymore - no more spare sunglasses. We miss our Costco.

I have been asking him to write about this for all these days. His excuse was that these encounters are not related to our move or life here, so he cannot write about it. Here is the link: he has filed an inquiry with London Tube Department's Lost Property Office. He is eagerly waiting for an answer. There you go, husband!

3 comments:

  1. Haha..How can you be so careless athimber. I am still having the "mirror" you bought when I landed in US :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chandri. I'll help you. I'll mail you "Kirkland" sunglasses. how many do you need?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, I think I will have to take up that offer pretty soon :)

    ReplyDelete